I had seen a lot of dentists who are running behind in government dental jobs without knowing the whole detail to apply and qualify for the job. In this article, I will provide you with the top list of government dental jobs you should never forget to apply if you are a government job aspirant.
The definition of a good dentist is one who knows to mix both hard and smart work. And I had seen most dentists lack information about career options.
Another fact is that this kind of career information on government dental jobs is also not provided by colleges nor available online. I guess this article will help you clear most of your queries on government dental jobs in India.
Before briefing you about the Govt. jobs, I would like to tell you that there are many other career options after BDS too.
Below I had listed the Government Dentist Jobs available:
- Join State Government Dental jobs as a dental surgeon.
- Join the Indian Railways as a Dentist.
- Join the Indian Navy as a Dental Officer.
- Join Indian Airforce as a Dental Officer.
- Join the Indian Army as Army Dental Corps.
- Join as Territorial Officer in Indian Army.
- Join through UPSC vacancy.
- Join the National Rural Health Mission or NRHM.
- Join ECHS or Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme.
- Join ESIC or Employees State Insurance Corporation.
Now, I will give you an in-depth detail of all the government dental job options. I will continue in the same order as listed above.
1) State Government Dental Jobs:
State governments will publish their openings for dentists in the newspaper and on the official website. You should be updated about the same to apply before the due date. The eligibility, qualification, experience, and other details will differ from state and the post. I am not able to list all the state’s official sites here, so please bookmark the official site of your state. Don’t worry, I listed other options for government jobs below.
Trick to Search for Government Job in Your State Easily:
- Go to www.google.com.
- In the search bar type the keyword “Dental + Vacancy + Government + Your State”.
- You will get the direct link to the state government job link at the top.
- It won’t be any external website, it will be the official government vacancy site.
- Example: Think you are from Kerala and you want to search for state government vacancies for dentists. The keyword which you have to search in google is ” dental + vacancy + government + Kerala”.
2) Join Indian Railways as a Dentist:
You can join the Indian Railways as a dentist. On the official website, they will update the vacancy. You should keep updated with the site to apply for the opening in time. Indian Railways have openings for dentists on part-time, full time and contract basis. Part-time and contract basis mostly extend for one year and later with your rating you may get appointed permanently.
The vacancies will be divided into different zones like Southern, Central, Eastern, Western, etc. The exact number of openings may differ from time to time and you will be placed in the railway hospital for duty. But, keep in mind that there will be only a few openings for dentists on railways.
Eligibility for Dental Surgeons to Join:(This may vary, re-check in the official site)
- BDS Degree from a DCI-recognized university.
- At least 3 Years Experience.
- No experience for MDS candidates.
- The maximum Age Limit is 59 years.
Selection will be purely based on a final interview with the candidate.
3) Join the Indian Navy or Airforce or Army as Dental Officer:
Joining the Armed Forces Medical Services(AFMS) is dream come true for most of dental graduates. It is one of the finest career options after your BDS or MDS. Joining the Indian Navy as a Dental officer gives you respect, professional satisfaction, dignity, and adventurous life.
As a dental officer with the Navy, you get the opportunity to learn and serve the men in uniform and their families. If you get selected for the Indian Navy you get the chance to do your super-specialty or post-graduation in government expense on study leave after a certain time. You will get a chance to do your PG in Armed Force Medical/Dental College or its affiliated colleges.
The services of the Indian Navy is spread through a network of hospitals located over the country. The benefits offered by the Armed Forces are far better than any other options in the dental field. You may get benefits like:
- Very Good Pension Scheme.
- Medical Insurance and Aid.
- and more.
The Armed Forces offer a career option for all doctors with satisfies them professionally and prestigiously. If you are placed with the department then you are in a high-status profession with”A” gazetted post of the Indian Central Government.
There are two types of commission, named Permanent Commission(PC) and Short Service Commission(SSC). Doctors who are graduated from Civil Dental colleges can only join through SSC. But, pay scale, allowances, duration of service and retirement schemes are the same for both commissions. SSC officers must serve for a minimum of 5 years which may later be extended to 5 more years.
Selection Procedures in the Indian Navy:
(A) Short Service Commission :
- Will update the date and other details in leading newspapers and the candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- After applying the eligible candidates are called to Kolkata, Pune, and Delhi for further procedures.
- The short-listed candidates from the interview should go through examinations that will be held in any Armed Forces Medical College.
- Next is the verification process which will be done for medically fit candidates.
(B) Permanent Commission:
- SSC officers are granted three chances to attend the departmental interviews to reach the Permanent Commission.
Where to be placed?
Candidates who cleared the procedures of the interview, examination, and fitness will be posted in the Indian Army, Navy, or Airforce in any part of the country or world.
- Candidates from Civil: Captain (Indian Army)/Surgeon Lieutenant (Indian Navy)/Flight Lieutenant (Indian Air Force).
- Passouts from AFMC: Lieutenant (Indian Army)/ Surgeon Sub-Lieutenant (Indian Navy) / Flying Officer (Indian Air Force)
- You can achieve promotion to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (Indian Army) / Surgeon Commander (Indian Navy) / Wing Commander (Indian Air Force).
- It depends on time, satisfactory service, and fitness.
- Further promotions will be purely based on vacancies available.
Eligibility to Join Indian Navy/ Airforce through Army Dental Corps:
- Maximum age of 28 Years for BDS candidates and 30 years for MDS candidates.
- Minimum of 60% marks in final year BDS or MDS from a recognized Dental College and University.
- Must have completed the one-year rotatory internship recognized by the Dental Council of India.
- Should have a permanent dental registration certificate.
4) Join the Indian Army as Territorial Officer:
You might have got the basic details of joining the army as a dental corp. But most of the people fail to acquire a slot there due to the cut-off marks. Your dream to join the Indian Army as a Dentist is not still doomed. Yes, I mean it. There is a different option for you to join the Indian Army.
ADC or Army Dental Corps is an opening only for dentists. But there is an opening for graduates from all streams who can join the Indian army. Yes, you can join the Indian Army as a Territorial Officer.
- Ex-service officers and Only Male candidates are able to apply for this post.
- Age should be in the range of 18-42 years as of the year of vacancy.
- Should be graduated from any government-recognized university.
Terms and Conditions:
- The rank granted will be lieutenant.
- The pay scale and allowances will be as same as other army officers.
- Promotion can be till Lt.Colonel depending upon the situations and vacancies and services.
- Promotion towards colonel and brigadier is possible by selection if there is a vacancy.
- For the first year, basic training will be there by the commission.
- Two months annual training will the there for all year including the joining year.
- This annual training helps a lot in improving the performance of the candidate.
5) Join the Central Government job through UPSC:
Most of the youngsters who are pursuing their graduation in dentistry or have just passed out, look a lot into the UPSC exams to join services like IAS, IFS, IRS, and many other government posts in India. I would recommend all the students start preparing for the UPSC exam from their graduation time only so that they could crack the exams. I even know a girl personally who is preparing for the IAS exam in her first year.
UPSC provides a lot of opportunities for dentists around the country. Most dentists don’t stress this career option as they think this is a field outside dentistry. But, they don’t recognize that these jobs are high-paying and very prestigious jobs.
Things to keep in mind:
- To become an IAS officer you should crack the UPSC Civil service exam.
- Every year UPSC conducts the exams to qualify in two phases. A preliminary and main examination.
- To apply for this exam you have completed your graduation without fail. Graduation is the minimum eligibility criterion for UPSC exams.
- If you are doing your internship also you can apply for this job. So there are no worries of year loss.
6) National Rural Health Mission – NRHM
This is a mission under the National Health Mission. There are many vacancies in NRHM of every state. The vacancy is also available for lab technicians, DTP operators, and a lot more. Eligibility, pay scale, allowances, and everything depends on the vacancy available and the state where there is a job opening. There is not much information to give you on NRHM as it depends completely on time and state.
I will share a top-secret trick to find NRHM vacancies for dentists online. No other dental blog has mentioned the same.
- Go to www.google.com.
- In the search bar add the keyword ” NRHM + Your State + Dental + Vacancy” and search.
- The top result will be the opportunity page of NRHM of the particular state.
- Include your state name and also for precise detail, you can also change the word “Dental” to “Dentist”.
7) Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme:
This is a health scheme for ex-servicemen. In most of states, there are a lot of vacancies for dentists. But most of the openings will ask for a minimum of 3 years of experience. Like NRHM, the pay scale, allowances, etc may vary from state and the vacancies. Most people don’t know about options like this and competition might be low. The chances to get placed with ECHS are high. If your parent is an ex-serviceman then you have a 60% reservation in some cases. I will share the official website link here and you can check the same there.
All the state’s vacancies in ECHS will be listed on the home page of their website. This is a very good career option for government dental jobs.
8) ESIC – Employment State Insurance Corporation:
You can join this central government dental job if you are good in clinical skills and academics. They will publish the vacancy, interview, and results on their official page itself. It’s a very good central government job with a high pay scale and extra incentives. ESI has both hospitals and colleges, so you can stay updated with ESIC and apply for which post you love. Payscale and eligibility depend on the state you are applying. ESIC’s recruitment page is very user-friendly when compared to other government websites.
ESIC’s recruitment page is very user-friendly when compared to other government websites. You can go to their official recruitment page and simply select the state you want to search for and just click the search button. You will get the list of vacancies available.
All this information about government dental jobs is from the experience of my friends and from online resources. Before applying for any government dental jobs I would strictly recommend you check the eligibility and other details. I tried my best to categorize the government dental jobs well.
If you find this article informative, I would like you to share this on social media so that it may help other dentists too.
If you want me to write about anything else in dentistry then I would request you to comment it below and I will try my bes to update it in the blog soon.