Do you want to be a doctor? Do you want to take BDS admission in India?
If you are a dental aspirant like me, then this is the right place to get the complete information about BDS admission in India. 😛
There are many misunderstandings and myths which every student and parents have about BDS or Bachelor of Dental Surgery. I will be breaking all the myths and clear all the doubts about it today!
I had heard many of my friends and relatives asking me whether BDS has any scope in India? Can we earn well in dentistry?
So I will be clearing all your doubts here.
So let me divide this article into sections so that you can navigate to what you want to know.
Table of Contents
BDS Admission – Course Overview
Bachelor of Dental Surgery or BDS is a 5-year undergraduate program that has 4 years of studies and 1 year of compulsory internship. For MBBS it is 4.5 years of academics and a 1-year internship.
If you want to pursue post-graduation, then you can do MDS or Master of Dental Surgery. MDS is a 3-year program and there are 9 specialties in MDS. You can choose the one which you are interested in.
Before joining any professional course, I would like all of you to know about the subjects you are going to study in the future. Here I will just list the subjects which you have to study during the 5-year- course.
BDS 1st Year Subjects
- Human Anatomy, Embryology, and Osteology.
- Human Physiology and Biochemistry.
- Dental Anatomy and Dental Histology.
BDS 2nd Year Subjects
- Dental Pharmacology.
- Dental Materials.
- Pathology and Microbiology.
- Pre-clinical prosthodontics.
- Pre-clinical operative.
BDS 3rd Year Subjects
- Oral Pathology.
- General Medicine.
- General Surgery.
BDS 4th Year Subjects
- Oral Medicine and Radiology.
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery.
- Preventive and Community Dentistry.
As I told you earlier, many of my friends and relatives ask me whether there is any scope in dentistry. I had seen many of the dentists degrading their profession as they are not able to earn well.
In the current scenario, if you join any private clinic after BDS you won’t be paid well. Yes, it is true!
But it is a complete misconception that you can’t earn well in dentistry. Most of the dentists join any private clinic, go for MDS or they give exams for joining government jobs. I would say there many great options after BDS which would surely give you a better future.
I am a living example of that! 😛
Few of the options I would suggest after BDS are:
- Starting own private practice.
- Promote dental tourism.
- Join any corporate dental hospitals.
- Do clinical research after BDS.
- You can go for a Master’s in Public Health.
- If you are interested then do a Master in Hospital Administration.
- You can also do MBA in Hospital Management.
These are only a few options I had listed and there is much more.
The next thing which sparks in your mind is, how much a dentist can earn? If you are joining any private clinic for a job then you will only be paid around Rs.10,000-Rs.15,000 per month as a fresher.
But if you are starting your own practice in a good area, you can earn around Rs.70,000 to Rs.2 lakhs per month. I used these stats as I know people who are earning this much.
MDS Specializations after BDS
There are 9 specializations of MDS after BDS. Out of the 9 departments, 3 are non-clinical departments. The specializations available in Master of Dental Surgery are:
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery.
- Oral Medicine and Radiology – non-clinical.
- Preventive and Community dentistry – Non-clinical.
- Oral pathology – non-clinical.
I just mentioned these just for the basic information for students.
BDS Admission 2020 Eligibility
The first eligibility criteria for taking BDS admission is that you must attend and qualify for the NEET-UG entrance exam. Every year I used to get hundreds of calls asking for BDS admission without NEET.
It is the rule from the government that you must qualify the NEET-UG entrance exam to take admission for courses like BDS, MBBS, BAMS, BHMS, etc.
Other than that I will list the other admission criteria below.
- Qualify the NEET entrance exam.
- You must score at least 50 percent marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in 10+2.
- You must also score 50% in English.
- The aggregate score in the 12th standard must be at least 50%.
- The candidate must be at least 17 years of age by 31st of December 2020.
Documents Required during BDS Admission
During the counseling procedures, many students don’t even have basic documents. Here I am listing the required documents for BDS admission and please do keep it attested for hassle-free admission.
- NEET scorecard.
- NEET admit card.
- 10th marks card.
- 12th marks card.
- 12th pass certificate.
- Transfer certificate.
- Migration certificate.
- Identity proof.
- Document for date of birth.
- Community certificate, if applicable.
- Income certificate, if applicable.
- A medical certificate, if applicable.
BDS Counseling and Admission Procedures
As I told you earlier you must qualify the NEET-UG entrance exam to join any dental college in India. After the results are published the state authorities and central authorities will conduct separate counselings for filling up the seats.
All India Quota and Deemed universities admissions will be filled by MCC and the balance seats will be filled by the respective state authorities.
The procedures are not the old school style and is a bit different and are changing every year. The major steps involved in the counseling procedures are:
- Online registration for counseling.
- Document verification.
- The first round of counseling.
- Choice filling.
- Choice locking.
- First counseling results.
- The second round of counseling.
- Second counseling results.
- MOP-UP Round.
These are the steps involved in the counseling conducted by both state and central authorities. Here I will explain each step separately.
Online Registration for Counseling
You have to register for the counseling by providing all the basic information and NEET admit card details. There will be a registration charge ranging from Rs.1000 to Rs.3000.
Registrations will be separate for All India Quota and state quota separately. If you want to apply to colleges in Karnataka and Maharastra, then you must register for counseling both the states separately.
For example, online counseling of dental colleges in Karnataka will be conducted by Karnataka Examination Authority.
Pro Tip: As of my personal experience, I would suggest you choose a state where you want to join and then proceed with the counseling procedures of that state. If you concentrate on multiple states, the counseling dates might clash with each other.
The counseling authority will announce a date for document verification. During that time, the candidate must be present at the counseling center with all the original documents without fail.
In a few states, you might have to submit a demand draft of Rs.1 lakh which will be adjusted or refunded as your tuition fees. I had mentioned the list of documents for BDS admission above.
1st Round of Counseling
During the registration process, you have got the login credentials with which you have to log in to your dashboard. After logging in you must select the college of your choice and lock the option.
Choice Filling and Locking
In this phase, you must select the college of your choice in the same order. You can select as many colleges as you like and you must lock the choice you have selected.
The locked choice cannot be changed in this round again.
1st Round Results
Now if you had been allotted any college of your choice then you can accept that college and join the college or you can attend the second round of counseling.
2nd Counseling Round
It is the same as the first round of counseling. You have to log in to your dashboard and then select the choice of your college and lock it. If you had been allotted a seat then you can join the college or you can attend the MOP-UP round.
This is the final round of counseling. The seats which are vacant after 2nd round of counseling will be transferred for MOP-UP round.
Few important things about MOP-UP round are:
- MOP-UP will be conducted offline.
- The candidate must be present at the counseling center with the required documents.
- The candidate must carry a demand draft favoring the state authority.
- The MOP-UP results will be declared on the same day.
After the MOP-UP round, the seats which will be vacant will be given to the college management. The college management can provide the seats to students who have registered and attended the counseling procedures only.
I had also written detailed posts about BDS admission in different places and you can read that if you are interested.
- BDS admission in Delhi NCR.
- BDS admission in UP.
- BDS admission in Dental College Ghaziabad.
- BDS seats in Bangalore.
BDS Course Fee Structure
I guess, now you have got an idea about the BDS admission procedure. Now I would like to give you a rough idea about BDS course fees. I had also written a detailed post about the BDS fee structure in private colleges.
I will give you a rough idea about the fee structure. There are very low-cost dental colleges that charge fees as less as Rs.75,000 to Rs.7 lakh per year. I suggest you go for an average college with good clinical experiences. You can continue reading this article and I had given an in-depth idea about choosing a dental college for BDS admission.
I had tied-up with many top dental colleges who provide BDS admission without any donations.
You may also like to read:
BDS Admission Scholarships
The scholarship facilities are not provided by any government organizations. There are few dental colleges who provide scholarships to deserving students depending on some criteria. The scholarship criteria differ from colleges.
There are dental colleges that provide scholarships for students referred by me. Yes, it is true!
You might be thinking, why they must provide scholarships to students referred by me. Right? I have been dealing with a few dental colleges by conducting many seminars, CDE programs and more. They always give me a special preference. 😛
The scholarships are categorized and are mentioned below.
- Scholarships for students with more than 75% marks in 12th standard.
- Scholarships for ex-servicemen’s children.
- Scholarships for financially backward students.
- Scholarships for students who clear the scholarship exam.
Selecting a good Dental College for BDS Admission
There are more than 300 dental colleges in India and it is not easy to select one. First I want you to make a clear idea where you want to join for BDS, I mean in which state you want to join.
The next thing you have to consider is, how much fee can you afford? If you are joining through my consultancy service then I will surely give you personal guidance.
You can contact me after choosing the state you want to join and the fees you can afford. After that, I will give you a list of colleges which you choose from.
Apart from these, you must only choose dental colleges with:
- Excellent patient exposure: The college must have excellent patient exposure in clinical departments. The student patient ratio must be good. Most of the colleges have MDS and the patient will be first served to MDS students. If the BDS students must get good patients, the patient exposure must be really good.
- Faculties in clinical departments: The faculties in the clinical departments must be really good. I had seen in some colleges the lecturers won’t give RCT patients to BDS students.
- Technologies: See whether the college uses the latest treatment technologies. There are many colleges that use CBCT machines, 3D printing machines, etc.
- Extra fees: Most of the colleges in India charge extra fees for sports, transportation, library, etc. Choose dental colleges that don’t charge students unnecessary things.
- University: Enquire under which university the college is affiliated. There are many universities that publish their results after 5-6 months of their university exams. This makes it really hard for the students.
How to take BDS admission in India easily?
There are two different ways to take dental admissions and it is very simple.
- You can contact the preferred college directly and few colleges will guide you through the counseling procedures.
- You can find career counselors like me and they will guide in selecting a good dental college at competitive fees.
So you might be thinking which one of the above you must choose. If you want to join only a specific college then you can contact the college directly.
You can contact me if:
- You don’t know which college to join.
- You want BDS admission at a low fee structure.
- You want to get complete counseling guidance.
- You want support for educational loans.
- You are looking to apply for scholarships.
Tip: If you want to join a dental college near your place and you are not interested in any other college, then you can contact the college management directly.
You can contact me on the phone or WhatsApp on +91-9747352630 or mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facilities My BDS Admission Service Provide
I am not a kind of money-making consultant who would dump you to any colleges without thinking about the student’s future. 😛 Here I am listing few features of my service you would like to know.
- College selection: I have the data of all the private dental colleges in India, with its patient exposure, clinical details and everything else. I had also made a list of dental colleges with fee structure, with which I can help you choose a good dental college at a low fee structure.
- Counseling: I have experience in dealing with the counseling procedures from when centralized counseling was introduced. I will help you through the complete online counseling procedures, which will be really helpful for you.
- Competitive Fees: As I told you earlier I can provide you BDS seats at low fee structure in good dental colleges.
- Scholarship: Few dental colleges in India provide scholarship facilities for students referred by me.
- Seat booking facility: After the NEET results are published you can book the seats easily and be tension free.
- Installment payments: I can talk with a few colleges and make fee payments comfortable for you with installment payments.
- Secure payments: All the payments made will be secure with proper receipts and allotment letters.
- Loan support: 70% of the students who contact me are from the middle class and they always study using educational loans. I can help you get supporting loan papers which will make the loan application process easier.
- Educational Dental Kit: I will be providing educational kits to students which will be really helpful for students in their future.
Interested to take BDS admission through me? You can contact me on +91-9747352630.
I always conclude personally and I wish to know whether the information provided here helped you. If it did help you please do share it with your friends and people in need. If you have got any questions you can comment below and I will respond as soon as possible.
Please beware of people who say they can get you BDS admission through management quota without NEET.